Play Bocce Ball at Provenance – Annual Tournament
Provenance Residents love to play Bocce Ball! A new court is coming soon, but until then, we play in one of the many parks.
Stay tuned for this year’s turkey tourney date – we’ll add it to the event calendar soon!
Not sure how to play bocce ball? Here is a good summary of the rules.
1. Divide players into two teams of one, two or four players each. Each team gets four balls, divided equally among the players.
2. Flip a coin to determine the starting team. One player from starting team stands behind the fault line and throws the pallina (small ball) toward the opposite end of the court. It must land beyond the center line.
3. The same player then throws the boccia (large ball) trying to get it as close to the pallina as possible without touching it. Targeting the opponent’s ball is permissible.
4. Players from opposite team will take turns throwing their balls until one of the balls stops closer to the pallina than the starting player’s ball. If they fail to do so, the starting team tries to outdo their first attempt. Players stand behind foot fault line to throw.
5. Starting players take a second turn if the opposing team gets closer to the pallina than the starting team without using all their balls.
6. Continue in this fashion until all eight balls have been thrown. The team with the closest ball gets one point for each of its balls that are closer to the pallina than the other team’s closest ball.
7. If the two teams’ closest balls are an equal distance from the pallina, no points are awarded.
8. Frame ends after eight balls have been thrown and points have been awarded. Scoring team begins the next frame at opposite end of the court. If no team previously scored, the team that threw the pallina last begins the next frame. Continue playing frames until one team reaches 16 points to win!